Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post V-Day Thoughts

There was a time where I didn't care about Valentine's Day (except for the excuse to eat a lot of chocolate), then there was a time where I absolutely despised it, and now, honestly, I could take it or leave it.

When I was single I either avoided the thought of it altogether or I would sulk about it all night long.  It's definitely different now being married, always having that special someone if we want to do something nice on this random day of February, but now that I have this special Valentine, I wonder why we make a random day to celebrate this union.  We already have our anniversary which is a much more special day, and we can go on a date any time we choose.  Valentine's Day just doesn't seem to mean a whole lot to me (other than the chocolate that I can still always go for).

But looking back when I was a little younger and remembering how hard it was to watch people couple off on that day when I was left alone to myself, I wish I had known then better where to find true love and fulfillment.

Even if you've found your perfect match, that person will still occasionally let you down, make you mad, or disappoint you.  Our most ideal mate is still human, prone to falling short of perfection... just like us.  But there is One who has declared His love for us before we even knew He existed.  He wrote an entire love story for us full of adventure, battles, romance and a happily-ever-after ending that we all seem to long for.  He's the One Who can truly fulfill that empty space in our hearts that people and things just won't ever complete.  He is faithful to His promises and will never forsake us. On Valentine's Day and every other day of the year, we can celebrate true love with the One who is Love.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." John 15:13

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."  John 3:16-17

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment