Saturday, February 12, 2011

Texas Sports Hall of Fame

On Monday night I had the great honor of being inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco, TX.  I had thought this was more of a Hall of Fame for professional men's sports as there aren't a whole lot of women or amateur athletes that have been inducted.  But low and behold they voted little old me into the 2010 class, becoming the second diver inducted (David "Skippy" Browning) and the 18th woman out of 320 inductees.
I'm still surprised and greatly honored that the committee that voted me in views my accomplishments within the realm of these other amazing athletes and people.  Donna Lopiano was another inductee this year and she is one of the people who paved the way for women athletes in college at University of Texas, me being one of those athletes who greatly benefited.  The other amazing inductees were Pro Football Hall of Famers John Randle, the Vikings standout, and Emmitt Thomas, who played for the Kansas City Chiefs; Baseball Hall of Fame honoree Willie Wells, an Austin native who played in the Negro Leagues from the 1920s through the 1940s, former NFL quarterback Charley Johnson, Dallas Cowboys founder Clint Murchison Jr., former Cowboys receiver Drew Pearson and former Rangers catcher Jim Sundberg.
(We weren't totally ready for the above pic, but it'll do!)
The whole evening was so exciting and I'm thrilled that both my college coach, Matt Scoggin, and my long time club coach (17 years), Kenny Armstrong, were both able to be there with my family!  

I grew up as a gymnast wanting to be the next Mary Lou Retton long before I ever found my way into diving.  Of all the amazing things about this experience, one that really tickles my fancy is that I now have my Wheaties Box next to Mary Lou Retton's Wheaties Box in the Hall of Fame.
Ah... thanks God for allowing such a fun and special evening for my family and friends!

1 comment: